Saturday, May 14, 2005

The Saturday Morning Playlist

The 6th Sense - Common
Neutron Bomb - The Weirdos
Nightshift - Positive K
Old School joint from 1992. Takes me back in the day, to a time when I was mesmerized by the sistas around me in high school. If you're some suburbanite whitebread, you probably don't know the meaning of the word Shorty - and I don't care how many Eminem albums you own, you'll never understand where I'm coming from.
Prince Edard County High School produces shorties by the handfuls. Can't listen to this track without smelling Cocoa Butter or shouting out to those "shawtays" I dreamed about as a teenager.
463 - Buck 65
Drive - Snowdogs
Vampire Girl - Devil's Brigade
All Hell Breaks Loose - Misfits
So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams
If you don't know Hank, you're officially a waste of oxygen.
Nihilism - Rancid
Story of My Life - Social Distortion
I'm a firm believer in starting every morning with Social D. Not only am I a diehard fan, but I look up to Mike Ness as inspiration. I've listened to his lyrics to help ease heartache, to have a good time, to kick a nasty addiction, to help keep inner-demons at bay and to find new ways to love life. People talk about Emo being the touching music. Punk is touching and heartfelt music; Emo's usually just bitter kids whining. Thanks Mike for saving my ass too many times to list.
Kublai Khan - Jedi Mind Tricks

Naked as We Came -
Iron and Wine (Sam Beam)
Things I Don't Remember - Ugly Casanova
This track always reminds me of McCarthy's, my favorite bar in San Luis Obispo, California, and my time as News Director at the greatest college radio station in the world, KCPR 91.3 FM. As a friend of mine from that time, Byron, would say, "Good Times, Good Times." To any female folks I knew from that place, hey, I was probably madly in love with each and every one of you at some point.
You Can Have It All - Yo La Tengo
If I'm listening to this song, I'm probably thinking about a girl. Some friends of mine in Baton Rouge re-introduced me to this song.
I Hung My Head - Cash
The Man in Black will always remind me of my childhood on the ol' family farm in Green Bay, Virginia and the days of riding in my Grandpa's 76 GMC grand Sierra pick-up, listening to WSVS 800 AM, drinking Pepsi from a glass bottle, and trips to the Southern States in Burkeville (Va.)to buy farm supplies. I learned how to fish, hunt, and drive a tractor.











No comments: