I ended up in Virginia for a little longer than I expected. My grandmother is doing wonderful - so wonderful, in fact, that she's been moved into an extended care facility quicker than expected (by about a week.) The legs are healing, the big ol' knot on her head is finally shrinking, and they've moved up her ankle and heel surgery to the end of May.
As of right now, G'maw is expected to make an at least 90% recovery. Given her age, that's astounding.
G'maw is, after all, one tough bird.
Thank you so much to everybody who left comments and kept my kinfolk in their thoughts. I choked up a bit reading them.
While the ZenFo Grandma began her own healing journey, I had some unfinished healing I needed to do, some emotional TLC I needed to get out of the way. Going back o the ol' hometown is always a bit of a traumatic experience for me - I think it tends to be that way for many folks who grew up in small, rural communities. Going back for a medical emergency didn't allow me the luxury of mentally and emotionally preparing myself for the often unwanted trips down Amnesia Lane.
For now, let me just say that Joseph Conrad ain't got shit on me when it comes to hearts of darkness.
I'll blog about it later. Right now, I need a shave. I need a nap (averaging 3 hours per night for the last 10 days, well, sucks ass). For now, I finished a lil' meme I borrowed from Cowgirl a few weeks ago. I meant to post it before I left; I've revised it a bit to account for the lost time in between.
1. What time did you get up this morning? 3:15 AM ET
2. Diamonds or pearls? Um. Neither.
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Wow...that's a good question. No clue.
4. What is your favorite TV show? Most anything scifi-ish or on the History Channel.
5. What did you have for breakfast? A soft pretzel and some coffee at Richmond International Airport.
6. What is your middle name? Er...no comment. Begins with a W.
7. What is your favorite food? I'm a picky eater, so pretty much anything I eat.
8. What foods do you dislike? Well, can't eat beef. Not a fan of bread either.
9. What kind of potato chips do you like? Don't eat 'em. I am addicted, however, to Stacy's soy chips.
10. What is your favorite CD at the moment? Let's see... in the truck, I've got some Superwolf, Billy Bragg, the Queers, some Anthrax, Dillinger Four, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash's Live at Folsom Prison, and about a thousand mix CDs and compilations.
11. What kind of car do you drive? A 1998 Ford Ranger.
12. Favorite sandwich? Hmmm...drawing a blank on this one, too.
13. What characteristics do you despise? Generally, anything evil-esque. Brain's not really working today.
14. Favorite item of clothing? I had somebody in my hometown call me a Metrosexual Mennonite last week... I wear jeans and tee-shirts almost exclusively.
15. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go? I'm pretty open. Invite me somewhere. I'll see what I can do.
16. What color is your bathroom? A very ugly creme color.
17. What is your favorite brand of clothing? Don't have one.
18. Where would you want to retire? Northern Arizona or New Mexico. Maybe Montana.
19. Favorite time of day? Tie between sunrise and sunset.
20. Where were you born? Mesa, Ariz.
21. Favorite sport to watch? Baseball. Boxing.
22. Who do you least expect to answer this???? Who cares?
23. Person you expect to answer first? Ditto. lol
24. Coke or Pepsi? Don't drink soda.
25. Are you a morning person or night owl? Both. Seriously.
26. What size shoe do you wear? 9 1/2
27. Do you have any pets? Not currently. Cat in California at my folks' place.
28. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share with everyone? Oh, it'll show up on the blog eventually ;)
29. What did you want to be when you were little? A diplomat.
30. Is the glass half empty or half full? Depends on what we're drinking.
31. What is your best childhood memory? Trading two dead groundhogs and a possum for three gallons of possibly the world's best white lightning (i.e. moonshine.) Yes, hillbillies will eat just about anything. But I'll put Earl's mash up against Dom Perignon any day.
32. What are the different jobs you have had in your life? Let's see... sportscaster, print journalist, publicist, information consultant, image consultant, library design consultant, framer for a homebuilder, carpenter, sales associate, deejay, plumbing supply sales rep, librarian, stonemason's apprentice, "guest" adult website editor, etc.
33. What color underwear are you wearing? Goin' commando today.
34. Nicknames: Lord, too many. Pooh Bear, J. Jay, Asshole, Motherfucker, etc...
35. Piercings? Currently, none. Past: About a dozen or so.
36. Eye color: Hazel.
37. Ever been to Africa? Working on it.
38. Ever been toilet papering? Hell yes.
39. Love someone so much it made you cry? Yes.
40. Been in a car accident? Yup.
41. Croutons or bacon bits? Both.
42. Favorite day of the week? Tomorrow.
43. Favorite flower? Wildflowers. Dogwood blossoms.
44. Favorite ice cream? Lactose intolerant. Avoid the stuff like the Plague.
45. Disney or Warner Brothers? Neither
46. Favorite fast food restaurant? Don't eat fast food.
47. What color is your bedroom carpet? Haven't seen the carpet in a while. Um...Denim and tee-shirt color?
48. Failed your drivers test? Nope.
49. From whom did you get your last e-mail from? Lord, I'm terrified to check my e-mail. Haven't checked it in about a week.
50. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? No clue.
51. What do you most often do when you are bored? Get into trouble. Blog.
52. Bedtime? 11 PM.
53. Who are you most curious about their responses to this questionnaire? Everyone.
54. Last person you went to dinner with? Dad.
55. Lake, Ocean or river? All of the Above.
56. How many tattoos do you have? Zero.
57. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The reptile.
58. How many people are you tagging with this? Open-surce tagging this sucker. Feel free to steal it.