Monday, August 01, 2005

Yet Another Playlist...8/1/05

1. Dash 7 - Wilco
Can never go wrong with old, pre-nervous breakdown Jeff Tweedy.

2. Mood Swing - Band of Susans
Many, many moons ago, I caught this band live in Richmond at a club called Prohibition when I was probably 16 or 17. I had ditched school with some buddies of mine. And yeah, they still sound like the Melvins.

3. Horse with No Name - America
One city springs to mind. Bakersfield, California. Home of Buck Owens, downtown Oil Rigs, crystal meth, and the band Korn. Yup. I would gnaw off my left arm before I'd live there.

4. El Scorcho - Weezer
Pinkerton is probably one of my favorite Weezer albums. People either hate it or love it. I'm convinced that somewhere between Pinkerton and the Maladroit lies the generation gap between Gens X and Y.

5. God Save the Queen - The Sex Pistols
John Rotten remains, to this day, the most self-absorbed, pompus, arrogant piece of garbage to ever roll out of the gutters of the UK punk scene. But at least he's honest about it. I heard some song on the radio the other day by one of these Duran-Duran rip-off bands floating around now. Whine punkers...pffft. Those two words don't belong together. Its one thing to write an introspective song about sincere feelings. Its quite another to sing about the girl who stood you up for your Senior Prom when you're 30.

6. Commandante - The Mountain Goats
Very simple and witty song.

7. Kiss Them for Me - Siouxsie and the Banshees
Siouxsie Sioux is still hot.

8. Let Them Eat War - Bad Religion
BR remains the favorite punk band of social activists. The guest spot by Sage Francis makes the track all the more better.

9. Fever - Billie Joe Spears
Nothing beats the original sensuality of this classic country one-hit-wonder.

10. Napalm Brain/Scatter Brain - DJ Shadow
Shadow is one of the best of the turntablists, mainly because of his mult-layering technique and tendency to blend jazz beats with 70s funk guitar and a plethera of other sounds.

11. The Centaur - Buck 65
This rather deep novelty of a hip-hop track made this Nova Scotia emcee famous in the underground. Writing a entire rap about the woes of a Centaur with a gigantic penis is too damned classic not to be enjoyable.

12. I Left my Wallet in El Segundo - A Tribe Called Quest
One of my favorite hip-hop songs of all time. A tale about absolutely nothing, but I dig it anyway.

13. S.P.D. - Lars Fredericksen and the Bastards
Rancid's guitarist, Lars put this out as a side project.

3 comments:

zydeco fish said...

Kiss them for me is Good. My fav Banshees tune has to be Peek-a-boo.

Anonymous said...

Agreed on the Weezer comment. There is a gap there - compare "Tired Of Sex" to "Dope Nose". Green album provides the bridge between X and Y. Best they've ever put out, start to finish.

Oh, and by the way, you've been tagged.

Anonymous said...

Had a friend from Bakersfield. Yep. She met Buck Owens when he gave the Bakersfield Community College library a copy of the official Soviet encyclopedia (after he made a trip there in 1976 to play). She lives in Austin now, and I still love Buck Owens. Too many rainy afternoons in the trailer park watching "Hee Haw", I guess.